Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Welcome Mr. Wattendorf!

Staff Spotlight: Matt Wattendorf

May 8th, 2023


STrEaM Academy is excited to announce our new 6th grade Science and STEM teacher for the 23-24 school year, Mr. Matt Wattendorf!

Below is a letter to the STrEaM community from Mr. Wattendorf:

Hi STrEaM Staff, Families, and Friends,


My name is Mr. Wattendorf and I’m over the moon to join you all in 2023-2024.  I’m continuously impressed by all that you have achieved together, and can not wait to learn from you.  I recognize your community is small and mighty, so new additions require introductions.  Below is a bit about myself.


As part of a military family, I grew up moving around but, spent most of my childhood in the suburbs of Washington D.C.  After high school, I worked as a battery research scientist at the Naval Research Labs and earned a master's in science education from William & Mary (Go Tribe!).  Though my first science love is chemistry, I also have taught a mix of physics, earth science, computer science, and astronomy.  

I have previously I’ve taught students in Houston, TX, Hampton, VA; Salt Lake City, UT; Bozeman, MT; and most recently the Cayman Islands.  Each of these places has provided a unique experience with its own relationship with its environment and community.  I’m looking forward to discovering STrEaM’s connection to place in the coming months.


My family is spread throughout the country.  My older brother, his fiancee, my parents, and my little brother all live in Seattle.  One of my younger sisters lives in Miami, and the other lives in Boston.  When together, we love exploring new places and playing board games.


As a teacher, I believe scientists need to practice both awe and careful experimentation equally.  Outdoor education and project-based learning are excellent tools for this practice.  Scientific study is the natural consequence of appreciating beauty in nature.  Incoming 6th graders should be prepared to use what they know about their world to make amazing discoveries and ask even deeper questions.

Beyond the classroom, I’m an avid skier, rock climber, scuba diver, and fisherman.  I’m happiest in the backcountry and am excited to experience the incredible environment and terrain in Alaska.


Some other fun facts: I taught at East High School, the film location of the “High School Musical” movie and television series.  I participated in the national college frisbee tournament in 2018.  I have volunteered at board game conventions, and have played over 300 different board games!



Onwards and Upwards,


Mr. Wattendorf

With classroom pet, Max


No comments:

Post a Comment